Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL
Date: 2007-12-19 14:11:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 01:05:00PM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>
> > If your software is locking a file for that long, that software is more
> > than just broken, it's horribly broken. Having a workaround against
> > something that might happen once or twice because of a bug in the other
> > software is one thing, but if it's actually *designed* to do that you
> > really need to get that software removed from your machine.
>
> I was under the impression though that this was just how open worked on
> windows. Only one process can have a file open at the same time.

Then you're wrong. You can open files in shared mode no problem - it's how
we have multiple backensd opening the same file. You do have to remember to
specify the flag when you open the file - something backup software for
example has always done, unless it's really crappy design.

Most proper backup software will use VSS these days, which makes the whole
point moot.

And antivirus is supposed to be entirely transparent, so it's definitely a
bug when it happens. But we've seen a lot of buggy antivirus.

//Magnus