Re: Press Release review comments

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Press Release review comments
Date: 2007-12-14 20:22:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 14 December 2007 10:42, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> >
> >ase.txt
> >
> > Few thoughts spring to mind
> >
> > - Just in time background writer changes are nice, but since we already
> > mention the load distributed checkpoints (a closely related feature), it
> > seems we are saying too much at the expense of other features.
> >
> > - Asynch Commit is a seriously important feature, not necessarily for
> > existing users but definitely for people used to MySQL's speed and lack
> > of robustness with myisam tables. It's an important message that we can
> > get the speed of myisam and at the same time the robustness of Postgres.
> > I don't suggest that we specifically mention mysql, but it is a feature
> > that will alter many people's perception of Postgres, so we should talk
> > about it somewhere.
> +1

Simon, have you tested async_commit performance with any of the the beta
releases?  I was involved in a conversation on irc the other day that had
some anecdotale reports that async_commit was not giving significant speed
benfits, perhaps as a result of the other tuning and work that has gone into
the release later in the development cycle. I've not had chance to verify
this info, so I was wondering if you had.

Robert Treat