Re: Release Note Changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-10 22:26:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>>
> >> Hmmm good question which gets back to where we started :). My very first
> >> thought on all of this was that we would list all notable changes but
> >> that we wouldn't mention anyone's name.
> >
> > Isn't that listing what is already in the release notes?
> >

> No :). What is listed already in the release notes is what "you" think
> is notable, which is why I mention the subjective below. What is cool to
> you may not be cool to others etc... I am not saying you are doing a bad
> job just that it is subjective.
>
> Case in point I think the work that Stefan did for this release is
> notable. I believe it is notable for several reasons.
>
> 1. Usability
>
> 2. Recognition (yes I am aware of the thoughts on that)
>
> 3. It was grunt work that should have been done with the original patch
> that didn't get done. Stefan picked up the ball and ran with it and
> produced something that will make our product more usable for the end user.
>
> Tom and you disagreed. I understand the reasoning and I don't actually
> disagree with the thought process but I think the thought process is
> flawed. I do not believe people only look at the release notes for "wow
> cool". I believe they look at them to see who deserves kudos in this
> release.

OK, that was clear to me. You are saying based on the criteria we have
used in the past our system of feedback works (good), but the criteria
used isn't 100% agreed.

My point is that it isn't that I am too subjective and closed to
feedback on adding/removing items, but rather the policy used isn't open
for feedback; but it really is. Should we open discussion of changing
the policy?