Re: Cost-Based Vacuum Delay tuning

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cost-Based Vacuum Delay tuning
Date: 2007-12-08 13:21:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> I have noticed that others (Alvaro, Joshua) suggest to set
> vacuum_cost_delay as low as 10 or 20 ms,

My suggestion is to set it as *high* as 10 or 20 ms. Compared to the
original default of 0ms. This is just because I'm lazy enough not to
have done any measuring of the exact consequences of such a setting, and
out of fear that a very high value could provoke some sort of disaster.

I must admit that changing the vacuum_delay_limit isn't something that
I'm used to recommending. Maybe it does make sense considering
readahead effects and the new "ring buffer" stuff.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"La experiencia nos dice que el hombre peló millones de veces las patatas,