Re: Older version of PGSQL help

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Older version of PGSQL help
Date: 2007-12-05 00:09:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 03:20:45PM -0600, Ed Burgstaler wrote:
> Would anyone be able to direct me as to whether or not there is a pgadmin
> for windows utility available that will work for a PostgreSQL v7.0.3
> database?

Not to my knowledge. But I wouldn't spend any time on it -- you need to get
off that PostgreSQL release pronto. Really, really pronto.

> I'm not very database literate so unless an upgrade of the PostgreSQL
> database was idiot proof I guess I'm screwed.

The upgrades are mostly not that hard. Just read the release notes
carefully for any compatibility issues with your application. Generally,
they're a matter of pg_dump database | psql newdatabase.

> relied upon. Unfortunately, the hardware that the server runs on is very old
> and I'm afraid that it will crash any day which would leave them screwed so

It'll leave them "more screwed" if it happens on that release. My
suggestion is to download and compile a more recent release -- 7.3 is about
to become unsupported, but you may need to go through that version anyway in
order to get off 7.0.

Compiling from source isn't hard, but it may be frustrating on such an old
installed system (because probably some of the necessary support files
aren't installed, and you will have a hard time getting the necessary
packages.

My suggestion is to go out and buy a reasonable server for this system, and
move it all there as soon as you can. If you need help with how to do that,
the pgsql-admin or -general lists are probably the right place to ask
questions, once you've read the documentation (which is pretty good on this
topic).