Re: stored procedures and dynamic queries

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stored procedures and dynamic queries
Date: 2007-12-04 10:47:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:14:56 +0000
Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:

> Unless it's an obvious decision (millions of small identical
> queries vs. occasional large complex ones) then you'll have to
> test. That's going to be true of any decision like this on any
> system.

:(

I'm trying to grasp a general idea from the view point of a developer
rather than a sysadmin. At this moment I'm not interested in
optimisation, I'm interested in understanding the trade off of
certain decisions in the face of a cleaner interface.

Most of the documents available are from a sysadmin point of view.
That makes me think that unless I write terrible SQL it won't make a
big difference and the first place I'll have to look at if the
application need to run faster is pg config.

This part (for posterity) looks as the most interesting for
developers:
http://www.gtsm.com/oscon2003/toc.html
Starting from Functions

Still I can't understand some things, I'll come back.

thanks for the right pointers.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it