Re: postmaster logfile

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster logfile
Date: 2007-12-03 22:17:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Gauthier, Dave escribió:
> Well, I can start the server with....
>
> postmaster -D /myplace/db
>
> ... and then...
> ^z
> bg
>
> ... to get to the prompt. But each/every time a message from the
> postmaster gets logged, it goes to stdout of the current window. I want
> it to go to a logfile. Attempts to redirect with "&" all seem to fail.
> "postmaster -d myplace/db -l logfile start" (as was in the message right
> after the initial db create) doesn't seem to work.

Enable the redirect_stderr config option in postgresql.conf. That
should do the trick. You can change the log file name and directory
on postgresql.conf too.

initdb doesn't say you can use -l in postmaster; it is talking about
pg_ctl.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"MySQL is a toy compared to PostgreSQL." (Randal L. Schwartz)