Re: HD is flooded by Error Log info

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HD is flooded by Error Log info
Date: 2007-11-29 16:58:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 04:50:45PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Surely this is what logrotate and syslog-ng etc are for. This is a
> sysadmin problem not a DBA problem - any service can generate a lot of logs.

Yes. But some have complained those things aren't Postgres-centric enough.
I don't see how, but some have argued strongly. So I say, if there's a
demand, I've no objection to an add-on product (which could be especially
relevant if we get something like CPgAN); but not anything like additional
extensions to the existing logging infrastructure (what is there is nice,
because it provides things that the poastmaster alone may know; but
additions would be gilding the lily, except with pyrites).

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke