Re: Codificado

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Oscar <oreyesp(at)facinf(dot)uho(dot)edu(dot)cu>
Cc: pgsql-es-ayuda(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Codificado
Date: 2007-11-15 14:24:39
Lists: pgsql-es-ayuda

Oscar escribió:
> Le agradeceria que me explicaran, algo del codificado que usa postgresql,
> cual es el mas utilizado para usted, y cual me recomienda utilizar.
>
> Por ejemplo siempre habia utilizado el win1256 y utf-8, pero ahora me han
> dado una bd con SQlASCI.

SQL_ASCII es lo peor que puede pasar. Ahora, la verdad es que win-1256
es para guardar en idioma arabigo, asi que no se por que lo utilizas.
Para guardar castellano deberias estar usando win-1252 o latin1. O
mejor aun, UTF-8.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/multibyte.html

The SQL_ASCII setting behaves considerably differently from the other
settings. When the server character set is SQL_ASCII, the server
interprets byte values 0-127 according to the ASCII standard, while
byte values 128-255 are taken as uninterpreted characters. No
encoding conversion will be done when the setting is SQL_ASCII. Thus,
this setting is not so much a declaration that a specific encoding is
in use, as a declaration of ignorance about the encoding. In most
cases, if you are working with any non-ASCII data, it is unwise to
use the SQL_ASCII setting, because PostgreSQL will be unable to help
you by converting or validating non-ASCII characters.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"Pido que me den el Nobel por razones humanitarias" (Nicanor Parra)