Re: Location of PGCon EU

From: "Chris Mair" <chris(at)1006(dot)org>
To: <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Location of PGCon EU
Date: 2007-11-13 10:53:58
Lists: pgeu-general

> > I thing, so EU have to be in country with strong PostgreSQL
> > comunity.
> > Two boys are little bit few.

> Definitely... organising a succesful conference like the last Pg-
> Day
> would take much more effort.
>
> A lurker's 2 euro-cent ;)
> --
> Matteo Beccati

I second that.

We're talking about *the* european conference here, so we should
consider only locations with strong groups / infrastructure. As
far as I (semi-lurker ;) understand these are at least

- AT/Vienna (Hans et al)
- IT/Prato (Gabriele et al)

possibly some more I forgot. At some point we started even
voting on these (insert select for update jokes here).

I'd suggest we do an official "call for location" soon. Groups
would have to "apply" for it posting some info on the location
and why they think it's a good location etc..

When we've collected a few this list should vote again.

That being said, every group is of course free to do as many
conferences as they see fit. Remember: this whole discussion
is just to decide which will be the "global one" for reasons
of being pragmatic towards people flying over from other
continents.

Bye,
Chris.

PS:

Personal comment: I voted for Vienna some time ago on this list
not because I wouldn't like another Prato/PGDay. Heck, I would
even sponsor another Prato/PGDay and attend. It's just that I
feel there should be just *one* global conference / yr in Europe
and it shouldn't be the same place every year.

(I said this so I will still be offered some vin santo
& cantuccini next time I get to Prato ;)