Feature Request: inline comments

From: CaT <cat(at)zip(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Feature Request: inline comments
Date: 2007-11-07 23:21:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Whilst reading http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-comment.html
I came across this user comment:

Ricardo Bánffy 04 Sep 2007 18:15:44

It is a pretty obvious suggestion I bet was made many, many times
before, but it would be very useful if you could create comments while
creating the objects themselves, like

CREATE TABLE FOO (
ID INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY COMMENT 'The ID',
VALUE VARCHAR(10) COMMENT 'The value',
) COMMENT 'The table';

This would be a good thing as it would make documenting schemas more
in-your-face and less prone to forgetting (ie, atm, if you do want to
comment on rows you effectively wind up with two table definitions
(kinda)).

Perhaps this is a small enough add to make it into 8.3?

--
"To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
greatest tribute."