Re: select random order by random

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Lee Keel <lee(dot)keel(at)uai(dot)com>, piotr_sobolewski <piotr_sobolewski(at)o2(dot)pl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select random order by random
Date: 2007-11-01 20:35:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:22:58PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > SELECT random() FROM generate_series(1, 10) ORDER BY random();
> > SELECT random() AS foo FROM generate_series(1, 10) ORDER BY foo;
>
> (BTW, this is not the planner's fault; the collapsing of the two
> targetlist entries into one happens in the parser.)

Something twigged telling me that in fact the latter expression is not
in standard SQL but a (very common) extension. A <sort key> is clearly
indicated to be a <value expression> with no indication anywhere that
column aliases are allowed here (though that may be in the common rules
somewhere).

Then again, I may be remembering all wrong...

Have a nice day,