Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-24 17:18:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 02:32:13PM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:39:43PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > > The one below is already available, so we don't have to do a "flag
> > > day" with it.
> > >
> > > http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git
> >
> > As someone who hasn't used GIT: if I have a modified CVS tree from some time
> > back (>1 year) can I use this to manage the bitrot? Just doing a CVS
> > update will probably just mark everything conflicted, so I'm wondering
> > is GIT can do it better.
>
> It's no magic, but three-way merges[1] and automatic tracking of file
> renames do help quite a bit.

The other thing that helps is being able to apply (merge, propagate) the
changesets from mainline into your branch, one at a time, automatically
if they merge cleanly, and require manual intervention when they don't.
That way the changes required to merge each time are likely trivial.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"Investigación es lo que hago cuando no sé lo que estoy haciendo"