Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-24 16:29:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm fairly resistant to putting less-than-ready code in the tree, I must
> > say.
>
> Me too, at least if "less than ready" means "unstable". The committed
> code has to always be solid enough to let everybody continue working on
> their own bits. However, in the past we've tended to refuse stuff if
> it "didn't do anything interesting", and I think that attitude will need
> adjustment. We'll have to be prepared to accept patches that are only
> interesting as waystations to some long-term goal.

I know for the Win32 port I committed things in parts, e.g. fix absolute
path detection. It would have been impossible to submit one large patch
to do the entire Win32 port, and in fact the feature spread over two
major releases. I think if someone took on a similar-sized project we
would just have to give them CVS commit access.