Re: Prepared Statements vs. pgbouncer

From: Paul Lindner <lindner(at)inuus(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Paul Lindner <lindner(at)inuus(dot)com>, Till Toenges <tt(at)kyon(dot)de>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared Statements vs. pgbouncer
Date: 2007-10-01 21:32:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:06:50AM +1300, Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Paul Lindner wrote:
>
> >The problem is that the described solution puts way too much moving
> >parts inside of something that should be very simple. You'd have to
> >recreate most of Postgresql's parsing and grammar inside of Pgbouncer
> >and change it from something simple into a full-featured proxy.
>
> What? Why on earth would you need to recreate the SQL grammar inside
> pgbouncer?! Justify this.

Eh? I didn't mention Sql grammar. A proxy would at minimum have to
track and maintain connection settings and portals and recreate them
on each backend. However a full-featured proxy could parse any GUC
statements.

In fact if you want full support for temporary tables (iffy) /
temporary views (perhaps possible) and whatnot you will have to parse
the SQL flying across the wire so you can recreate the session in it's
entirety.

Of course, I don't want nor need that.

For the record:

Please please please note that I'm only trying to solve a particular
problem here. I know what I want to do is messy, ugly and a little
impure and flies in the face of elegant design.

If it helps think of what I'm proposing as akin to denormalization
of a beautiful schema to achieve specific goals.

--
Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
lindner(at)inuus(dot)com