Re: PG_DUMP not working

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dan99 <power919(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG_DUMP not working
Date: 2007-09-25 15:02:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Dan99 escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I found out this morning that I cannot get pg_dump to work at all on
> my database. It refuses to create a dump and instead just freezes.
> When using the verbose option (-v) i get the following output and then
> it stops (it at one point ran for days on end before i even noticed)
>
> pg_dump: saving encoding
> pg_dump: saving database definition
> pg_dump: reading schemas
> pg_dump: reading user-defined types
> pg_dump: reading user-defined functions
> pg_dump: reading user-defined aggregate functions
> pg_dump: reading user-defined operators
> pg_dump: reading user-defined operator classes
> pg_dump: reading user-defined tables
>
> I think this problem is somehow related to a VIEW problem that I
> have. I created a VIEW of semi-large tables, which did not come back
> with any errors. However, when I go to view it, it never finishes
> finishes.

Perhaps somebody has a lock on a table or view. Try

select relation::regclass, database, transaction, pid, mode, granted
from pg_locks;

Do you see anything related to the view you created?

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"This is a foot just waiting to be shot" (Andrew Dunstan)