TODO/exotic features/sql*net

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)oryx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: TODO/exotic features/sql*net
Date: 2007-09-21 11:20:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Regarding this item in the TODO:

SQL*Net listener that makes PostgreSQL appear as an Oracle database
to clients

I recently had (an unrelated) reason to look into the SQL*Net protocol
and discovered that no documentation for it is publicly available, and
reverse-engineering it is (supposedly) a violation of the Oracle user
agreement. People have wanted it for years, but Oracle (for whatever
reason) thinks it's a secret worth guarding closely.

I've discussed this item with various people, so I thought I'd mention
this for the sake of the archives.

(IMO, the TODO item should be dropped.)

-- ams, who is eternally grateful for protocol.html