Raw device I/O for large objects

From: Georgi Chulkov <godji(at)metapenguin(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Raw device I/O for large objects
Date: 2007-09-18 00:17:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I am a graduate student of computer science and I have been looking at
PostgreSQL for my master's thesis work.

I am looking into implementing raw device I/O for large objects into
PostgreSQL (maybe for all storage, I'm not sure which would be
easier/better). I am extremely new to the codebase, however.

Could someone please point me to the right places to look at, and how/where to
get started? Would such a development be useful at all? Is anyone working on
anything related?

Any feedback / information would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Georgi