Re: Change the name

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change the name
Date: 2007-09-04 16:16:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

All,

From my perspective, this whole discussion ... and the EDB survey, and the
headcount on this thread, etc., is pretty much entirely moot. 40+ people are
arguing about what color to paint the bike shed, and not one person has
picked up a brush.

When someone steps forward with a concrete proposal, some market research (and
no, unscientific surveys of the existing community is not market research),
and allocations of volunteer time to do the work necessary for a name change
(something I'd peg at 150 to 250 hours combined work over the next year),
this whole discussion is pretty darned pointless.

I'll point out, for example, that despite identifying needs to work on both
the PostgreSQL "about" pages and the 8.3 press release, it's still the 5-6
old regulars doing 100% of the actual writing and development. And the old
regulars do NOT have the spare time to even think about a name change.

So Ron, Andy, others who are hot to change to Postgres: let's see a concrete
proposal, and one that comes up with new resources to do the new work.
Otherwise, let's terminate these threads and move on to some actual promoting
PostgreSQL.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun