Re: mysql proxy

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql proxy
Date: 2007-08-28 14:49:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 10:31:32AM -0400, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Why build it specifically into the app when lower level systems, like
> databases or their drivers, can log it for you?

If the database is doing this for you in any processed way, then to
me it's part of the application. I wouldn't advocate putting extra
code out in the database client to do it, if that's what you're
asking.

> It doesn't do exactly that.

It does exactly what I suggested: logs all changes to a table in a
generic way -- i.e. Slony doesn't need to know about your application
in order to replicate your data.

> PostgreSQL cannot provide true auditing
> without significant custom work. Audit triggers must be autonomous,
> which can only be performed in PostgreSQL via a dblink.

Well, wait a minute. You're now arguing that auditing under Postgres
requires writing stuff to an independent system, which entails
significant custom work. But it isn't at all obvious to me that a
proxy-based approach won't require significant custom work too. It
doesn't exist today -- the framework does, and that's it. My point
was merely that making a generic auditing framework that fits inside
PostgreSQL is possible, and it doesn't require any proxy between the
database client and the back end.

> I may be mistaken, but on one hand you seem to basically be saying
> is that one should research their app and design what is
> appropriate for them. On the other hand, you're saying that even
> if they research their app and choose to use the MySQL proxy
> method, they're wrong in doing so.

I don't care what people do with their data, especially if they're
using MySQL. What I am arguing against is adding something like this
proxy capability to Postgres. The reason I'm arguing against such a
capability is that it looks to me like an immense man in the middle
attack just itching to happen. I think it's a misfeature, for that
reason.

Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
--Damien Katz