Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-28 18:44:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 14:11, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I have been avoiding voting on this topic. But. . .
>
> First, discussing this without reference to the work it would cause
> and such like is foolish...

This sounds like basing a decision on getting the most benefit with the least amount of work.

I respectfully counter your argument by suggesting that in this matter the effort, although significant, is justified by the benefits.

I argue that the exercise of debating and, if it comes to pass, implementation has benefits that far outweighs the effort.

> this strikes me as a plan to get all manner of people all over the
> Net -- many of whom maybe hate Postgres -- to come and suggest that
> _other_ people do work for a cosmetic change.

And I really do believe it when I say that there's no such thing as bad press

> I also don't believe
> that claim that there's no such thing as bad press. If you disagree,
> ask the engineers of the Corvair.

Comments from the marketing / sales crowd.... yes that includes you too Rich?

Robert