Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: svr1 mail timeouts ...
Date: 2007-08-27 08:21:00
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:25:14PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 'k, after getting some real information from Stephan, took a look at the
> machine ... Postfix sets a default max # of concurrent incoming smtpd
> connections to 100, right now, its sitting at 91 ...
>
> I suspect that what is/was happening was that it was hitting 100 and stalling
> on the other connections, including the nagios check ...
>
> I've just raised it to 256, and we'll see if that doesn't eliminate the
> timeouts ...

Interesting (and it hasn't bitched in a while, so it looks like the right
direction).

Any idea what's using up all those connections? 91 *incoming* connections
is very much, especially since the box doesn't exactly *receive* a lot of
mails (it sends a whole lot, but that's a different limit).

(For example, I have a fairly high-traffic mail server that certainly
receives at least an order of magnitude more email than svr1 does, and
it's running at 5-6 receiving processes normally)

Perhaps it's something a config change can rid us of?

//Magnus