Re: Persistent connections in PHP

From: Josh Trutwin <josh(at)trutwins(dot)homeip(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Persistent connections in PHP
Date: 2007-08-13 14:55:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:44:26 -0500
Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> wrote:

> I'll agree with Scott on this one. (Not that I can recall
> specifically ever disagreeing with him before...). Unless you
> know all of the potential caveats associated with php's persisent
> postgres connections and have a use case that fits them, don't use
> them. If you need something to pool connections, look at pgpool.

Could elaborate a little on the problems with using php's persistent
connections?

Personally I use ADODB php abstraction library (adodb.sf.net) for my
database stuff and I think there's a way to enable persistent
connections though I just use the default connection.

I've heard before that php's persistent connections are to be
avoided, was just curious as to why though?

Thanks!

Josh