Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua_Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date: 2007-08-08 21:47:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:38:18PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Decibel! wrote:
> > Given the target of newbies, something we should probably add to that
> > list is turning autovacuum on. Leaving that off is going to leave a
> > bad taste in the mouth of a lot of folks, far worse than our
> > minimalist configuration.
>
> Or alternatively, the bad taste may stem from someone unilaterally
> overriding configuration decisions consciously made by the developers.

Well, you mentioned lack of vacuuming twice in your blog, so you're the
last person I expected to object to this.

I don't see how leaving autovacuum turned off can be a good idea in a
package that's specifically meant to be easy.

"Congratulations, you've just installed Postgres! Oh, wait... one more
thing... go edit this file by hand otherwise your performance will suck
as soon as you start throwing any real data at the database."
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org