Re: .NET driver

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Rohit Khare <rpk(dot)general(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, Andrei Kovalevski <andyk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: .NET driver
Date: 2007-08-06 19:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 04 August 2007 09:45, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Rohit Khare wrote:
> > Seeing the history of PostgreSQL development, following features are
> > expected in pgAdmin:
> >
> > (1) Facility to insert a column in between other columns during table
> > design.
>
> This I can see how people like, actually. Theorists claim it's not
> needed since column order really doesn't matter, but during development
> things will just "look nicer". So I can agree with this.

We've gotten requests like this at times for phppgadmin, and I think our
standard mantra has evolved into "re-implementing core database features in
the gui client tends to cause nasty surprises for our users". We actually
have some experience with this, since we used to implement alter table drop
column before it lived in postgresql, and we often had users complaining of
the limitations it had and the things that broke when they used it.

Looking at the OP's problem, the basic idea would be to create a new table and
then do some renaming hackery, adding the new column while pulling
information from the old table, but you run into all sorts of problems with
dependent objects when you do it that way. *shrug* Thats not news to people
who have studied it, thoough most people don't seem to grasp what is going on
in the system as a whole.

><snip>
> > Considering a mature RDBMS like PostgreSQL, an intuitive GUI Control
> > Panel is a must.
>
> I couldn't agree more.
>
> That said, it's probably a good idea to discuss the specifics on the
> pgadmin list instead of the backend hackers. Please subscribe there if
> you are willing to contribute to the project (with code, documentation,
> or just discussing the best ways to do things)

I'm not sure it is entirely inappropriate to discuss some of these items
on -hackers, if we're talking about general solutions to admin and/or gui
interfaceing problems (even the hacky non-core style solutions might be ok if
they are approach from the idea of being able to solve a problem at the sql
level)

--
Robert Treat