Re: Repair cosmetic damage (done by pg_indent?)

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Repair cosmetic damage (done by pg_indent?)
Date: 2007-08-03 23:12:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 12:06:50PM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 04:07:01PM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
> >> Fwiw, do we really not want to compress anything smaller than 256 bytes
> >> (everyone in Postgres uses the default strategy, not the always strategy).
> >
> > Is there actually a way to specify always compressing? I'm not seeing it
> > on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/storage-toast.html
>
> In the code there's an "always" strategy, but nothing in Postgres uses it so
> there's no way to set it using ALTER TABLE ... SET STORAGE.
>
> That might be an interesting approach though. We could add another SET STORAGE
> value "COMPRESSIBLE" which says to use the always strategy. The neat thing
> about this is we could set bpchar to use this storage type by default.

Yeah, we should have that. I'll add it to my TODO...

> >> ISTM that with things like CHAR(n) around we might very well have some
> >> databases where compression for smaller sized datums would be beneficial. I
> >> would suggest 32 for the minimum.
> >
> > CPU is generally cheaper than IO now-a-days, so I agree with something
> > less than 256. Not sure what would be best though.
>
> Well it depends a lot on how large your database is. If your whole database
> fits in RAM and you use datatypes like CHAR(n) only for storing data which is
> exactly b characters long then there's really no benefit to trying to compress
> smaller data.

Well, something else to consider is that this could make a big
difference between a database fitting in memory and not...

> If on the other hand your database is heavily I/O-bound and you're using
> CHAR(n) or storing other highly repetitive short strings then compressing data
> will save I/O bandwidth at the expense of cpu cycles.
>
> > I do have a database that has both user-entered information as well as
> > things like email addresses, so I could do some testing on that if
> > people want.
>
> You would have to recompile with the value at line 214 of
> src/backend/utils/adt/pg_lzcompress.c set to a lower value.

Ok, I'll work up some numbers. The only tests that come to mind are how long it
takes to load a dump (with indexes) and the resulting table size. Other ideas?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org