Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab
Date: 2007-07-31 17:22:30
Lists: pgsql-www

Peter,

> Why does administration require that all the machines be hosted at one
> site? Most administration is by remote login, and for the physical
> maintenance you could have someone on site do it.

Right, and that's made more complex if the main users aren't clear on where
the machine is.

> > and the ability to to do multi-machine configurations.
>
> Well, that is interesting, but not a requirement. If the machines are not
> at the same site, just don't use them for multi-machine configurations;
> just pick different ones. (Hey, maybe someone wants to test WAN
> configurations.)

Actually, it *is* a requirement. Doing a real DBT5 or EAStress test run
requires at least 2 machines, plus storage, and 3-4 machines is more
interesting. Having the machines scattered hither and yon will both
complicate the maintenance of the test lab and limit its usefulness.

I also think you're arguing for the sake of arguing; you don't do performance
testing and AFAIK are not planning to host any of the machines. So why are
you picking nits?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun