Re: Design: Escort info from WHERE clause to executor?

From: peter(dot)trautmeier(at)gmx(dot)de
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Design: Escort info from WHERE clause to executor?
Date: 2007-07-25 12:34:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks imad,

Von: imad <immaad(at)gmail(dot)com>
> It looks like you need a customized version of AExpr Node.
> In the backend parser, an AExpr Node is constructed against each given
> WHERE expression. You can store the weight along with the expression.
> Further, don't forget to upgrade the copy functions and equal
> functions for AExpr if you want to take this weight value all the way
> upto the executor.

I have already done that, alas, it doesn't suffice: During parse analysis transformExpr() turns the AExpr into other types, e.g. an OpExpr in case of foo = 42.

These newly created OpExprs won't last until they reach the executor in every case, though: They are sometimes recreated anew during planning 'manually', i.e. not by using the standard copy functions but by creating a new OpExpr node and copying the fields on an as-seen-before basis - these are the places where my weight gets lost.

To be honest, I consider not using a special copy function a minor design flaw :) *sigh*

Anyway, thanks again. But giving a weight to AExpr is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my final goal - let my weights enter the executor ;)

Regards,
Peter