Re: syslogging oddity

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: syslogging oddity
Date: 2007-07-23 07:53:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 08:05:12PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Somewhere along the way we seem to have made the syslogger's shutdown
> > message go to stderr, even if we have redirected it:
>
> I'm pretty sure it has done that all along; at least the design
> intention is that messages generated by syslogger itself should go to
> its stderr. (Else, if the logger is having trouble, you might never get
> to find out why at all.)

Yeah, I think it's been that way all along.

> It might be reasonable to reduce "logger shutting down" to DEBUG1
> or so, now that the facility has been around for awhile.

+1.

For example, many windows system have *only* that message in the eventlog,
and nothing else... Which is kind of strange.

It could be interesting to have it write it *to the logfile* though, since
it'd then at least be in the same place as the others. As in special-casing
this one message, and just ignore logging it in case it fails. But think
we're fine just dropping the level.

//Magnus