Re: dblink connection security

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink connection security
Date: 2007-07-09 02:13:53
Lists: pgsql-patches

* Gregory Stark (stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) wrote:
> "Joe Conway" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
> > If there are no objections I'll commit this later today.
>
> My objection is that I think we should still revoke access for non-superuser
> by default. The patch makes granting execute reasonable for most users but
> nonetheless it shouldn't be the default.
>
> Being able to connect to a postgres server shouldn't mean being able to open
> tcp connections *from* that server to arbitrary other host/ports. Consider for
> example that it would allow a user to perform a port scan from inside your
> network to see what internal services are running.

I'm in agreement with Greg. It's a poor idea, overall, to allow users
to initiate TCP connections from the backend. That should be a
superuser-only ability and should require security definer functions
with appropriate safe-guards (which would be site-specific) to be
created by the end admins.

Thanks,

Stephen