Re: AutoVacuum Behaviour Question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce McAlister <bruce(dot)mcalister(at)blueface(dot)ie>
Cc: General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AutoVacuum Behaviour Question
Date: 2007-06-27 22:52:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > How much is the age decremented by on a vacuum run then?
>
> It should be decremented to the vacuum_freeze_min_age. However, I'm
> running some experiments with your settings and apparently it's not
> working as it should.

Nah, false alarm, it's working as expected for me. And I see the age of
databases being correctly decreased to the freeze min age (plus however
many transactions it took to do the vacuuming work). So I'm still at a
loss on why is it failing to advance the datfrozenxid of your database.

Please let me have a look at this query result while connected to that
database:

select relname, relfrozenxid from pg_class where relkind in ('r', 't');

You can change the relname to oid if showing the table names is
problematic for you.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".