Re: msvc and vista fun

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: msvc and vista fun
Date: 2007-06-25 14:14:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:06:57AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >
> >Can you run the build in "broken mode" but *without* using the buildfarm
> >scripts, and see what errorlevel you get? Meaning:
> >build.bat
> >... wait ...
> >echo %errorlevel%
> >
> >It should output 1 if that part works, 0 if it fails. That'll tell us if
> >the problem is in the bf or if it's in the actual build system.
> >

> It fails and says 1.
>
> Now, if I change the build script so it says
>
> exit %E
>
> instead of
>
> exit /b %E

That's just weird :-( And making that change makes the script unusable from
the commandline.

> I pick up the exit status just fine. I wonder if wer have different
> flavors of command interpreter? (My perl is the latest one from
> ActiveState, btw. I assume you're using that.)

cmd.exe from Windows - I assume you haven't installed some funky addon
special command interpreter? In that case, it should be the same. So I
have:
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

As for perl, I'm probably not on the very latest, but it's not so old. I'm
on:

Dave - what version are you on?

> Can we change that or make it switchable? I'd be happy to provide an
> environment variable like RUNNING_BUILDFARM if that would help.

We could, but it seems very ugly. And again, it's *not* required for
buildfarm on my or Daves machines. So I'd rather like to know why it's
actually happening than just blindly change it.

//Magnus