Re: multimaster

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Alexander Staubo <alex(at)purefiction(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multimaster
Date: 2007-06-02 08:19:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 02:27:06AM +0200, Alexander Staubo wrote:
> >What you are basically saying below is... web 2.0 developers such as
> >rails developers have so fundamentally broken the way it is supposed to
> >be done, we should too...
>
> I don't know if I said that, but I would love to hear how they have
> broken it, and what you propose the solution to be.

I don't know if it's a general problem, but I've been involved in a
using rails and it appears to have it's own way of declaring the
database. It presumes to handle referential integrity and uniqueness in
the application code (!).

Lo and behold, there are now some uniqueness violations and no-one knows
why. There seems to be a general unwillingness to let the database
check this because it's "slow".

My proposal is: let databases do what they're good at: checking
uniqueness, referential integrity and constraints, and let the user
code deal with the actual work.

Have a nice day,