Re: Performance monitoring

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance monitoring
Date: 2007-05-13 20:46:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:54:20AM +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Maybe we should improve the stats system so that we can collect events
> with timestamps and durations, but in my experience log files actually
> are the most reliable and universal way to collect real-time performance
> information. Any serious tool has a generic log parser. The other
> alternative is SNMP. I welcome the efforts on pgsnmpd..

Having timing information in the stats system would be useful, but I'm
not sure how it could actually be done. But at least if the information
is in the stats system it's easy to programatically collect and process.
SNMP is just one example of that (fwiw I agree with Magnus that it
probably doesn't make sense to turn pgsnmpd into a log parser...)
--
Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org