Re: ECPG patch to use prepare for improved performance

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: William Lawrance <bill(dot)lawrance(at)bull(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pgsql-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ECPG patch to use prepare for improved performance
Date: 2007-05-10 10:00:44
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:12:17PM -0700, William Lawrance wrote:
> 2. The performance was improved by about 1 hour in the 3 hour
> elapsed time of the application. This is important to the
> customer in terms of accomplishing his work load in the
> time that has been allotted, based on his experience with DB2.
> Without this improvement, he is likely to consider it too slow.

But this only holds for one customer. I don't think this will hold for
every single application. At least I do not see a reason why this
should hold everytime.

> I would like to emphasize that we aren't measuring an artificial
> test program; this is a real customer's application. We loaded
> 7 million rows into 217 tables to run the application. I believe
> it is representative of many real batch applications.

But how about non-batch applications?

> Is there reason not to prepare each statement?

I'm completely against forcing such a design decision on the programmer.
Hopefully I will be able to add a real prepare statement soon.

> Could it be predicated upon a user supplied option ?

Yes, this is fine with me. If you could rearrange the patch I will test
and commit it.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org