Re: Sequence vs. Index Scan

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sequence vs. Index Scan
Date: 2007-05-07 10:58:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 01:45:54PM -0500, Aaron Bono wrote:

> Then I inserted 150 more records in the slow schema and pow - it started
> working like the fast schema.
>
> So my conclusion is that the function is being treated as volatile even
> though it is stable because the number of records is small.

I don't think that's the issue. If this is dependent on the
number of records, then for some reason the way the data is
structured means that the planner thinks a seqscan's a better bet.
This is probably due to distribution of the values. You could try
increasing the stats sample, and see if that helps.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie