Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-17 01:32:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> >So there's no way, apparently, to fix the state of these files through
> >the "front door". Shall we try the proposed idea of hand-moving the
> >files out of the Attic subdirectory, whereupon they should appear live
> >and we can cvs remove them again? I have login on cvs.postgresql.org
> >and can try this, but I'd like confirmation from someone that this is
> >unlikely to break things. Is there any hidden state to be fixed in the
> >CVS repository? I don't see any ...
>
> Forgive my caution, but I'd suggest trying on a copy first.

Too late ;-)

FWIW my CVSup copy seems happy with the change; it reported this when I
updated it:

$ pgcvsup
Connected to cvsup.postgresql.org
Updating collection repository/cvs
Edit pgsql/src/backend/parser/gram.c,v -> Attic
Edit pgsql/src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c,v
Edit pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c,v
Edit pgsql/src/bin/psql/common.c,v
Edit pgsql/src/include/pg_config.h.win32,v
Edit pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.c,v -> Attic
Edit pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.c,v -> Attic
Edit pgsql/src/tools/msvc/Solution.pm,v
Rsync sup/repository/checkouts.cvs
Finished successfully

The gram.c,v file looks good -- it has the expected "state dead;" line.
A checked out tree from that updates fine. A "cvs update" to a checked
out tree direct from the main CVS server also updates fine.