Re: invalid page header in pg_statistic

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid page header in pg_statistic
Date: 2007-03-07 20:10:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday February 7 2007 9:01 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> > How do I fix this 7.4.6 issue short of initdb?
> > invalid page header in block 110 of relation "pg_statistic"
> > I looked at the block via pg_filedump (included below), and
> > it does not appear to me to be corrupted, so not sure what I
> > would zero out, if anything.
>
> Seems odd to me too ... but pg_statistic doesn't contain any
> irreplaceable data. See if you can TRUNCATE it. If so, do
> an ANALYZE to repopulate it. I don't recall if 7.4 has any
> special hoops you'd have to jump through to truncate a system
> catalog ...

Scheduled downtime finally arrived last night, and I tried
unsuccessfully to truncate this table:

postgres -D $PGDATA -O -o standalone_log mydb
> truncate pg_statistic;
> ^D

pg_ctl start
psql -d mydb -c "vacuum analyze"

The truncate showed no errors. The vacuum analyze showed the
same error in block 110 of the pg_statistic table. Any ideas
what I'm missing here? Is there another acceptable way to
truncate that table, perhaps "rm file; touch file"?

Ed