Re: CyberSquatter

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Stéphane Schildknecht <stephane(dot)schildknecht(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CyberSquatter
Date: 2007-03-06 19:58:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Stephane,

> There is in France a society, with no link to PostgreSQL that uses the
> domain names postgresql.fr and postgres.fr. I think they registered
> these domain names a few years ago, certainly before the french
> association was registered. I'm not sure they did before Jean-Paul
> Argudo registered PostgreSQLFr.org.
>
> Is there a legal way to take back these domain names.

I do not believe that we ever had those domain names. I believe they have
always belonged to the current news gateway operator, Open-Source.fr.

It has not been the practice of the PostgreSQL project to assert trademark
against domain holders. It is dubious at this point whether we *could* do
so, as the defendant would be able to point to numerous domains which the
PGDG does not control.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun