Re: [HACKERS] [CORE] GPL Source and Copyright Questions

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Charles Comiskey <comiskey(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [CORE] GPL Source and Copyright Questions
Date: 2007-03-05 23:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

OK, with no feedback on this, I have removed the copied comments from
geo_ops.c, reorganized a little, and removed the GPL copyright notice.

Patch attached as unified diff so you can see the line changes easier.
Should this be backpatched to 8.2.X?

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I did some research on this item. I downloaded the source code to WN from:
>
> http://hopf.math.northwestern.edu/index.html
>
> I could only find the most recent version. wn-2.4.7. I then looked at
> its image.c file:
>
> http://momjian.us/expire/image.c
>
> I looked at the last two functions in the file and compared it to what
> we have in CVS, particularly the version of the code when it was first
> added to CVS:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/geo_ops.c?rev=1.13;content-type=text%2Fplain
>
> Again, look at the last two functions in the file.
>
> You will see similarities and differences. Many of the variable names
> are the same, and there is an identical comment block. The algorithm
> used is very similar as well, but the style and formatting is different.
>
> I have updated the code comment in CVS to mention the web site, GPL
> license, and article describing the algorithm.
>
> Not sure where to go from here.

> bruce wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > > [ redirecting to -hackers, as I see no need for this to be a core issue ]

> > The comment is:
> >
> > /* poly_contain_pt()
> > * Test to see if the point is inside the polygon.
> > * Code adapted from integer-based routines in
> > * Wn: A Server for the HTTP
> > * File: wn/image.c
> > * Version 1.15.1
> > * Copyright (C) 1995 <by John Franks>
> > * (code offered for use by J. Franks in Linux Journal letter.)
> > */
> >
> > That term "adapted from" isn't something Thomas would idly type, I
> > think. I bet it means he looked at John Franks' code and used it as a
> > base for our code. I am not concerned.

> > > This code seems to have been inserted by Tom Lockhart on 1997-07-29
> > > (geo_ops.c rev 1.13). Tom, any info on the copyright status?

> --
> Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
>
> + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 6.0 KB