Re: GiST index question: performance

From: Steve Midgley <public(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST index question: performance
Date: 2007-03-05 21:23:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thanks Oleg - very interesting stuff you are working on.

You may recall I exchanged emails with you on openfts a little while
ago - my ISP that manages my Pg SQL server is (in my interests)
concerned about installing anything non-standard (read: unstable) onto
their server. I was able to get them to install your TSearch2 b/c it's
been proven many times, but I'm hesitant to even bring up Q3C since
it's less widely deployed.

The search method I proposed in my first email is not totally accurate
but just searching circles with radii using a GiST index and standard
Pg circle datatypes seems like a "close enough" solution for me (as
opposed to Q3C's conical search intersections with a spherical
projection). I realize that at higher latitudes my circles will be
elliptical but our needs are for approximations that are very fast
rather than accurate and the radii being searched are small relative to
the size of the sphere (I.e. when searching Nome, find everything in
+/- 40 miles and especially don't return Anchorage POI)..

It's an end user database, so if the query takes 500ms, that's really
too long. On the Q3C site, I see that your measure of speed is
processing many, many rows in 20 hours, which is a whole different
ballgame. :)

Do you have a thought as to whether GiST is going to be faster/more
efficient with Pg standard types of polygons or circles? I suppose I
should just test out both, and quit wasting your time. I'll certainly
repost to the list with whatever I uncover.

I really do appreciate the help you've provided.

Sincerely,

Steve