Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question

From: hendrik(at)topoi(dot)pooq(dot)com
To: monotone-devel(at)nongnu(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-23 15:01:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:28:07AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> hendrik(at)topoi(dot)pooq(dot)com wrote:

> > > It's only academic because Monotone is not ready. As soon as it is
> > > ready we will be pushing much harder.
> >
> > This invites the obvious question -- in which ways in monotone not
> > ready? Not that I'm trying to imply that monotone *is* ready, of
> > course.
>
> Time to get the initial pull is too long, mostly. Also, having the
> policy branch stuff will be good, if nothing else because it'll mean
> having 1.0 out, in turn meaning UI stability, etc. And getting Markus'
> work on the CVS import will be good too (I haven't tried converting
> Postgres' entire CVS repo in a while, and that certainly is a must).
>
> I don't think we're going to get a one-shot migration, so Cristof's work
> on CVS takeover would be really nice to have so that some of us can
> create an "alternative" repo and cater for those that will continue to
> use CVS for a while.

Yes, interoperability with other revision management systems is a
problem for all of the revision management systems. It might be
de-facto-solved it one system manages to talk effectively to the
important other ones -- it won't be solved permanantly until there are
adequate standard, system-independent protocols ... I don't see that
coming soon.

And there;s the problem of welcoming the prodigal son.
A file gets away from the revision management system, and. much later,
returns, much changed from the experience. How should we slot it back
into the system?

-- hendrik