Re: complex referential integrity constraints

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Joris Dobbelsteen <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: complex referential integrity constraints
Date: 2007-02-23 15:27:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

> [...]

I was wondering if some sort of generator might work. Something that would
take what you're trying to do and generate the triggers for you, but I
haven't really worked out what that'd look like.

> What would be a good way to expose this to normal PL triggers? Since
> this would open a new set of possibilities...
>
> As part of a "create trigger ... for referencial integrity"?
> As an extension to a statement?
> Special construct in the languages?

I think the first thing to do is to figure out what such triggers need to
do. Does such a trigger need to potentially run some queries on the normal
snapshot? Does it potentially need different snapshots for different
statements or is only one special snapshot sufficient? And other such
questions. From there, a -hackers discussion might be meaningful.