Re: Password issue revisited

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>, Michael Schmidt <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password issue revisited
Date: 2007-02-20 15:05:07
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Are we sure we want to do this? (Sorry, didn't notice this thread last
time)

The default on *all* windows versions since NT 4.0 (which is when the
directory we use was added) will put this file in a protected directory.
The only case when it's not protected by default is if you're usnig FAT
filesystem, in which case there is nothing you can do about it anyway.
On unix, the file will often be created in outside-readable mode by
default, depending on how your OS is set up.

So to reach a situation where the file lives in an unprotected
directory, you must actively open up the directory in question. Which is
hidden from default view, so you really need to know what you're doing to
get there.

Not to mention it's a pain to define what permissions are ok and what
are not. We're talking ACLs and not filemodes - so how do you decide
which accounts are ok to have access, and which are not?

//Magnus