Re: Proposed adjustments in MaxTupleSize andtoastthresholds

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, teramoto(dot)junji(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Proposed adjustments in MaxTupleSize andtoastthresholds
Date: 2007-02-06 03:10:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > Actually, given what we've just learned --- namely that choosing these
> > values at random is a bad idea --- I'd want to see a whole lot of
> > positive evidence before adding such a configuration knob.
>
> 3. assemble performance evidence
>
> Step 3 is always there for performance work, so even if you don't
> mention it, I'll assume everybody wants to see that as soon as possible
> before we progress.

There was a performance evidence using TOAST in order to partial updates.
It added a flag of force toasting. The toast threshold suggested now is
more flexible than it, but I think it is one of the evidences.

Vertical Partitioning with TOAST
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00013.php

Regards,
---