Re: DBMS Engines and Performance

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBMS Engines and Performance
Date: 2007-02-02 17:14:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 06:19:33AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> There is also ZohoCRM, which _is_ postgres based, but comes with version
> 8.0.something and no ability to use what we already have installed. That's
> another poor development decision. Why would I -- or anyone else -- want to
> intstall a second, older version of the dbms on their system, just to run a
> single application.

This problem seems way easier to me to fix than the MySQL-to-Postgres
port challenge. Not that the latter is hard, but it's time
consuming, and you end up with (as I already mentioned) all sorts of
ugly hairs that relate to MySQL "features" that are really just there
to cover up missing pieces of implementation. (Or rather,
used-to-be-missing. MySQL has come a long way in the past couple
releases, no matter what anyone thinks of their marketing approach of
FUD FUD FUD.)

If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.
--Josh Hamilton, on the US FEMA