Re: Password encryption method

From: Bertram Scharpf <lists(at)bertram-scharpf(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
Subject: Re: Password encryption method
Date: 2007-01-22 19:25:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Am Montag, 22. Jan 2007, 10:25:33 -0600 schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> I didn't give an opinion on whether or not the whole approach was a good
> idea or not, since there wasn't enough detail in the original question.

What I want to do is the following:

1. Login in from a program on a client as a particualar user.
2. Login from a series of scripts run by Apache on localhost
('trust' authentication method). Of course, I won't hand the
password through web pages. Therefore I store something like a
'session cookie' in a table. Next time I log in as a superuser,
read the appropriate entry and immediately do a "set session
autorization". The first step can be done in two ways: (a) I write
a special login routine, (b) I log in as any other script and do
the password check against pg_authid using the function I proposed.

Before I decide how I will solve it: thanks a lot for your
answers and for the discussion.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf