Re: [sf-perl] Trustworthy laptop repair?

From: Quinn Weaver <quinn(at)fairpath(dot)com>
To: Fred Moyer <fred(at)redhotpenguin(dot)com>
Cc: San Francisco Perl Mongers User Group <sanfrancisco-pm(at)pm(dot)org>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [sf-perl] Trustworthy laptop repair?
Date: 2007-01-17 23:26:31
Lists: sfpug

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 03:09:45PM -0800, Fred Moyer wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Quinn Weaver wrote:
>
> >Update: it turns out that my laptop is still covered by IBM warranty (a
> >surprise, since it's an older model I bought on eBay). I'm sending it in for
> >repairs. I'll report back when all is done.
>
> One thing you might want to do is pickup an external case for a 2.5 inch drive,
> remove the drive from your laptop, install it in the case, and backup your
> data. I know of several people who have sent their laptops in for repairs, and
> as a treat they got a brand new hard drive (with windows installed!).

Yeah, I was planning to do something like this (to IBM's credit, they
warned me about this possibility).

I suppose if I just dd from the hard drive to a file, and then dd back to the
new hard drive, it'll work... yes? Then I won't have to reinstall Ubuntu,
all its updates, non-free stuff like Flash, my /etc backups, and so on...

Will this approach work? I plan to do some research on my own,
but do you know of any caveats?

Thanks for the tips. You guys are awesome. :)

--
Quinn Weaver DBA Fairpath
http://fairpath.com/quinn/contact/