Re: BCC55 and libpq 8.2

From: L Bayuk <lbayuk(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BCC55 and libpq 8.2
Date: 2007-01-10 00:41:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-patches

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 10:48:02PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I think I was wrong. According to the Borland Linker documentation, -c
> > defaults on (case sensitive). But when I link without -c, it warns about
> > pqFlush vs PQflush. Confusing. I'm going to try it again, both ways.
>
> Ah, interesting.
>
> > Why are there two functions anyway? I suppose historical reasons.
> > Since PQflush(c) is { return pqFlush(c); } I guess if the linker gets
> > the case thing wrong we loop until overrunning the stack.
>
> Yes, I assume historical, so feel free to add -c, but add a
> documentation comment about it so we remember.

On closer look I saw that the warning about pqFlush vs PQflush was from the
library tool (TLIB), not the linker. The linker is apparently
case-sensitive by default, so there is no need for -c there. As to the
library tool, the help file says it is not case sensitive, -c makes it so,
but there is a warning against its use. Since it seems to work as is (no
-c) I think it is best to leave it alone.