Re: display temp table structure?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Limin Liu <limin(at)pumpkinnet(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: display temp table structure?
Date: 2001-03-13 17:12:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Limin Liu <limin(at)pumpkinnet(dot)com> writes:
> If backend does not keep temp_table_name, this looks like somthing
> impossible to do (to me). (I hope my question makes sense.)

The backend does keep a temp table name mapping, but it's hidden in an
internal data structure that there's no way to read out.

Rather than invent some way to make that mapping visible, I have been
thinking that it might be possible to dispense with the special mapping
altogether once we have schemas (which hopefully will happen for 7.2).
I am imagining that temp tables might become ordinary tables that live
in a per-backend schema. I haven't tried to work out the details yet,
though.